Screen Skills Ireland is the national training and development resource specifically created for Ireland’s film and television industry. and Animation Skillnet are seeking applications from animation and VFX companies for a Mentoring Skills programme. This course is designed to address issues around talent management and the development of organisational mentoring programmes.
The course will take place over two days; the initial day (Tuesday 19th September) is aimed at senior managers, while the second day (Friday 29th September) is aimed at HODs, supervisors and those tasked with training, mentoring and talent development in organisations. Day One will include company consultations to discuss specific mentoring requirements in the individual organisations.
The purpose of the programme is to:
– Enhance management and mentoring capability/skill levels within the target organisations
– Support the development of career pathways within the target organisations
– Improve staff retention as part of an overall talent management process
– Facilitate the implementation of structured mentoring programmes.
DAY 1 – Senior Executives
The aim of this workshop is to help the Senior Executives from each organisation understand the key aspects of mentoring and, from that, develop a clear plan for the implementation of a mentoring programme within their own organisation which can then be rolled down to general staff.
- What problem are you trying to solve?
What are the organisational requirements for a mentoring programme?/Developing from within, or recruiting from the outside?
- Best-practice mentoring programmes
Key attributes/How does this fit with talent management?/Defining “talent”/Coaching vs mentoring/Psychometrics and Assessments/Confidentiality/Re
- What is your “best practice” mentoring programme? Brainstorming the key parameters of a mentoring programme
- How will this fit with current and future talent and performance management processes?
Is being a mentor a requirement for promotion?
- The role of the Senior Executive Team
Role modelling/Creating conditions/Culture/Ensuring time and space
- Ownership and next steps
DAY 2 – Mentors
Based on the outcomes of Workshop 1 for Senior Executives, Workshop 2 seeks to brief selected mentors from the organisation on the agreed mentoring process for their organisation and how it will be implemented. The focus will, therefore, be less on co-creation and more on the role of the mentors and on the “mechanics” of a mentoring relationship.
- What is mentoring?
Key terminology/What mentoring is not!
- What is mentoring at your company?
Why is the company doing this?/Company expectations/How will this benefit you?
- Roles & Responsibilities?
Mentor/Mentee/“skip level manager”
- The mentoring process: planning and structuring a mentoring relationship
Getting started/Planning and structuring a mentoring conversation/Goal setting/Achieving goals and meeting expectations/Closing and moving on
- Key elements of positive mentoring
Trust, time, dialogue, sharing
- Confidentiality and disclosure
- Practicing a mentoring conversation: role-play
- What are your fears and concerns?
- What if it does not work?
Please register online at www.screentrainingireland.ie. Deadline for applications: Friday 1st September 2017. For further details, contact Sorcha Loughnane at email@example.com, or call (01) 6798040.
This course is aimed at senior management teams and supervisors/HODs/trainers in animation/VFX studios who wish to understand the purpose, process and benefits of mentoring in their organisation, and enhance their skills in effective mentoring.
Tutor: Laurie Knell
Course Date: Tuesday, September 19th, 2017
Course Duration: 2 Days
Venue: Dublin TBC