Screen Skills Ireland is the national training and development resource specifically created for Ireland’s film and television industry. has announced a number of award-winning Irish and international visual effects practitioners will attend their visual effects training programme VFX: Script to Screen 2015. The programme is delivered through Screen Training Ireland the training arm of Fís Éireann/Screen Ireland (FÉ/SI) is the national development agency for Irish filmmaking and the Irish film, television and animation industry./The Irish Film Board, and co-funded by the Creative Europe programme of the EU.
Designed in collaboration with the VFX Association of Ireland (VFXAI), this innovative programme is targeted at developing skills and talent in the European visual effects sector. Irish award winning VFXAI companies Windmill Lane is world renowned for its recording studio, music video production & commercials, VFX work and audio for Film, TV and Animation. (Vikings, Titanic Blood and Steel, Dracula Untold); Screen Scene (Game of Thrones, Ripper Street, Frank); Egg Post Production (Ripper Street, Moone Boy); and Piranha Bar (Last Hijack) bring their knowledge and expertise in VFX to the programme, providing international filmmakers with the opportunity to collaborate and build opportunities internationally.
The programme provides producers, directors and key creatives from Europe and Ireland with an overview of visual effects from development to post-production over two intensive, practical modules, as well as providing access to the highest level of local and international visual effects talent.
Commenting on the programme Sorcha Loughnane, Programme Director VFX: Script to Screen said [quote]To host a programme like this in Ireland for filmmakers from across Europe is testament to the strength of the Irish visual effects industry and its commitment to skills development in this growing sector.[/quote]
Sir William Sargent, CEO Framestore, (Gravity, Harry Potter, Guardians of the Galaxy, Paddington) will join an array of top Irish and international VFX talent as part of the programme.
Other speakers include Emmy award winning production designer, Tom Conroy (Breakfast on Pluto, East is East, The Roman Spring of Mrs Stone, The Tudors, Camelot, Titanic: Blood and Steel, Vikings, Crossbones, Legend); Peter Hjorth, VFX Supervisor (Nymphomaniac, Melancholia); Dearbhla Walsh, EMMY, The Irish Film and Television Academy (IFTA) is an all-Ireland organisation with a Membership of 1,240 individuals across 14 Chapters of Discipline. and BAFTA award winning director (Little Dorrit, Silence, Shameless, Penny Dreadful, The Tudors, Borgia); and Nick Ryan, director (The Summit).
In addition Polish company Platige Image will showcase a study of their VFX work for the European Space Agency and its Rosetta Mission, highlighting how VFX is used as a visualisation and storytelling tool for complex scientific concepts.
An exciting highlight on this year’s programme involves a location shoot with Special Effects and stunts and includes a demonstration of cutting edge ‘virtual production’ tools that enable filmmakers to work within computer generated (CG) environments in real time.
The participant for 2015 are
• Andrea Biglione, Director/Producer, Italy
• Arturas Bukauskas, Director, Lithuania
• Trevor Curran, Producer/Writer, Ireland
• Sean Cuthbert, Producer, Ireland
• Kevin de la lsla O’Neill, Director/Producer/Editor, Ireland
• Paul Farren, Director, Ireland
• Aurora Fearnley, Director/Editor, UK
• Maximilian Hult, Director, Sweden
• Faye Jackson, Writer/Director, UK
• Jon Kadocsa, Editor/VFX Editor, Germany
• Nick Kelly, Writer/Director, Ireland
• Ulla Maarit Junell, Producer/Animation, Finland
• Sieber Marly, Producer, Belgium
• Anna G Magnusdottir, Producer, Sweden
• Nigel McAlpine, Producer, UK
• Imogen Murphy, Director, Ireland
• Michi Noro, Post Production Supervisor, Belgium
• Peeter Rebane, Director, Estonia
• Evelin Soosaar-Penttilä, Producer, Estonia
• John Wallace, Producer, Ireland
• Ovidijus Žalys, Post Production Coordinator, Lithuania