Screen Skills Ireland is the national training and development resource specifically created for Ireland’s film and television industry. in association with the Galway Film Centre are seeking participants for a Foundation Drafting Course. This programme is aimed at trainees and assistant art directors who wish to learn the foundations of film drafting and measuring, and those who have done some drafting but wish to bring their drafting skills to an intermediate level.
The course will be tutored by production designer, Anna Rackard. Anna has designed numerous feature films and TV dramas including Love & Friendship, A Dangerous Fortune, Foyle’s War, Stella Days and Ondine. She has been awarded two IFTAs, for Stella Days and Ondine. She has also art directed on films such as Haywire, King Arthur, Ella Enchanted and The Butcher Boy, working for designers such as Norman Garwood, Tony Pratt, Brian Ackland Snow and Brian Morris.
The course will cover the following:
Days 1 & 2 [BEGINNERS ONLY]
• Employing equipment and materials correctly.
• Working with scale and measurements.
• Reading drawings.
• Understanding 2 dimensional drawings in 3 dimensions.
• The principles of drafting geometry.
• Overview of Surveying, Equipment & Types of Surveys
• Samples of Survey Notes
• Practical experience of surveying; measuring, drawing and photographing.
• Overview of drawing presentation, dimensioning, style, texturing, titles and lettering etc.
• Practical experience of drawing up of a survey: plan, sections and elevations.
Days 3 – 6 [BEGINNERS/FOUNDATION]
• Introduction to doors, windows, mouldings.
• Practical experience of measuring a door or window.
• Detail drawing of doors, windows and mouldings.
• Advanced surveying (angles & bay windows etc).
• Advanced surveying (levels & stairs etc).
• Drawing arches and other geometric exercises.
• Calculating areas and quantities.
• An overview/discussion on drawing a set for a location build & drawing a studio set.
All coursework is done in pencil.
Please note the 6 day course costs €350. A shorter 4 day course is available depending on ability at a cost of €250.
The course runs from November 16th to 21st in Wicklow.
Apply online at www.screentrainingireland.ie. Deadline for applications is Wednesday 4th November.
For further details contact Mary Deely at Galway Film Centre on 091-770748 or email: email@example.com