Following its win at the Golden Globes, there was more good news for Element Pictures’ The Favourite as it dominated the nominations for the 72nd BAFTA Awards this morning. The Yorgos Lanthimos directed film received 12 nominations, easily placing it ahead of Bohemian Rhapsody, First Man, Roma and A Star Is Born, which each received seven nominations. Northern Irish writer/director/producer Chris Kelly was also nominated for Oustanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer for his documentary A Cambodian Spring. Irish actors Barry Keoghan is an Irish actor from Summerhill in Dublin, best known for his roles in Dunkirk and The Killing of a Sacred Deer. and Jessie Buckley had previously been announced as nominees for the EE Rising Star Award.
The 12 nominations for The Favourite include a Best Actress nod for Olivia Colman, and Best Supporting Actress nods for Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz, as well as one of Dubliner Robbie Ryan for Best Cinematography. The film was also nominated for Best Film, Outstanding British Film, Director, Original Screenplay, Editing, Production Design, Costume Design, and Make-up and Hair.
We are thrilled for Yorgos and all on the team for an amazing twelve nominations from BAFTA. We are particularly pleased for our partners at Film4, Fox Searchlight and Waypoint, whose support was crucial in bringing The Favourite to the screen and for our team at Element who have worked tirelessly on this film for ten years. We are so grateful for such a ringing endorsement from BAFTA’s membership, particularly as that enthusiasm has been matched by audience reactions to the film in Ireland, the UK, Australia and the US. Bring on the 10th February and long live the Queen!
Ed Guiney and Andrew Lowe, Producers – Element Pictures is run by Ed Guiney and Andrew Lowe, with offices in Dublin and London, working across production, distribution, and exhibition. Element Pictu... More
Roma is nominated for Best Film, Film Not in the English Language, Director, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, and Editing. Alfonso Cuarón is nominated in all of these categories. The film is also nominated for Production Design.
A Star Is Born is nominated in seven categories; Leading Actor, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Original Music, Sound, Best Film and Leading Actress for Lady Gaga. Bradley Cooper is nominated for five of these categories.
Bohemian Rhapsody receives nominations for Outstanding British Film, Cinematography, Editing, Sound, Costume Design, and Make Up & Hair, as well as Leading Actor for Rami Malek for his role as Freddie Mercury.
First Man receives nominations for Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Sound, and Special Visual Effects, as well as Supporting Actress for Claire Foy.
Vice has three performance nominees: Christian Bale in Leading Actor for his role as former US Vice President Dick Cheney, with Amy Adams and Sam Rockwell in the supporting categories for their roles as Lynne Cheney and George W. Bush. The film is also nominated for Original Screenplay, Editing, and Make Up & Hair.
Spike Lee is nominated for Director and Adapted Screenplay for BlacKkKlansman, which is also nominated for Best Film, Original Music and Supporting Actor for Adam Driver.
Viggo Mortensen is nominated for Leading Actor and Mahershala Ali for Supporting Actor for their roles in Green Book. The film is also nominated for Best Film and Original Screenplay.
Cold War is nominated for Film Not in the English Language, Original Screenplay and Cinematography, with a further nomination for Paweł Pawlikowski as Director.
Mary Poppins Returns receives nominations for Original Music, Production Design andCostume Design.
Steve Coogan is nominated for his role as Stan Laurel in Stan & Ollie, which is also nominated for Outstanding British Film and Make Up & Hair.
Can You Ever Forgive Me? is nominated for Adapted Screenplay. Melissa McCarthyand Richard E. Grant are nominated for Leading Actress and Supporting Actor respectively.
Margot Robbie is nominated in Supporting Actress for her role as Queen Elizabeth I in Mary Queen of Scots. The film is also nominated for Costume Design and Make Up & Hair.
Also receiving acting nominations are Glenn Close (Leading Actress for The Wife), Viola Davis (Leading Actress for Widows), and Timothée Chalamet (Supporting Actor for Beautiful Boy).
McQueen is nominated for Outstanding British Film and Documentary. The other nominations in Outstanding British Film are You Were Never Really Here and Beast; the latter is also nominated for Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer for Michael Pearce (Writer/Director) and Lauren Dark (Producer).
The other nominations for Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer are: Daniel Kokotajlo (Writer/Director) for Apostasy; Chris Kelly (Writer/Director/Producer) for A Cambodian Spring; Leanne Welham (Writer/Director) and Sophie Harman (Producer) for Pili; and Richard Billingham (Writer/Director) and Jacqui Davies (Producer) for Ray & Liz.
Isle of Dogs is nominated for Original Music and Animated Film. Incredibles 2 and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse complete the nominations for Animated Film.
Capernaum, Dogman, and Shoplifters are the other nominations for Film Not in the English Language. Completing the list for the Documentary category are Free Solo, RBG, They Shall Not Grow Old and Three Identical Strangers.
If Beale Street Could Talk receives nominations for Adapted Screenplay and Original Music. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is nominated for Production Design and Special Visual Effects.
Six other feature films receive one nomination each: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs for Costume Design; A Quiet Place and Mission: Impossible – Fallout, both for Sound; and Avengers: Infinity War, Black Panther and Ready Player One, all for Special Visual Effects.
The British Short Animation nominees are I’m OK, Marfa and Roughhouse. The nominations for British Short Film are 73 Cows; Bachelor, 38; The Blue Door; The Field and Wale.
The EE British Academy Film Awards take place on Sunday 10 February at the Royal Albert Hall, London. The ceremony will be hosted by Joanna Lumley and will be broadcast exclusively on BBC One and BBC One HD.
- BLACKkKLANSMAN Jason Blum, Spike Lee, Raymond Mansfield, Sean McKittrick, Jordan Peele
- THE FAVOURITE Ceci Dempsey, Ed Guiney, Yorgos Lanthimos, Lee Magiday
- GREEN BOOK Jim Burke, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly, Nick Vallelonga, Charles B. Wessler
- ROMA Alfonso Cuarón, Gabriela Rodríguez
- A STAR IS BORN Bradley Cooper, Bill Gerber, Lynette Howell Taylor
OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
- BEAST Michael Pearce, Kristian Brodie, Lauren Dark, Ivana MacKinnon
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY Bryan Singer, Graham King, Anthony McCarten
- THE FAVOURITE Yorgos Lanthimos, Ceci Dempsey, Ed Guiney, Lee Magiday, Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara
- McQUEEN Ian Bonhôte, Peter Ettedgui, Andee Ryder, Nick Taussig
- STAN & OLLIE Jon S. Baird, Faye Ward, Jeff Pope
- YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE Lynne Ramsay, Rosa Attab, Pascal Caucheteux, James Wilson
OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
- APOSTASY Daniel Kokotajlo (Writer/Director)
- BEAST Michael Pearce (Writer/Director), Lauren Dark (Producer)
- A CAMBODIAN SPRING Chris Kelly (Writer/Director/Producer)
- PILI Leanne Welham (Writer/Director), Sophie Harman (Producer)
- RAY & LIZ Richard Billingham (Writer/Director), Jacqui Davies (Producer)
FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
- CAPERNAUM Nadine Labaki, Khaled Mouzanar
- COLD WAR Paweł Pawlikowski, Tanya Seghatchian, Ewa Puszczyńska
- DOGMAN Matteo Garrone
- ROMA Alfonso Cuarón, Gabriela Rodríguez
- SHOPLIFTERS Hirokazu Kore-eda, Kaoru Matsuzaki
- FREE SOLO Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, Jimmy Chin
- McQUEEN Ian Bonhôte, Peter Ettedgui
- RBG Julie Cohen, Betsy West
- THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD Peter Jackson
- THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS Tim Wardle, Grace Hughes-Hallett, Becky Read
- INCREDIBLES 2 Brad Bird, John Walker
- ISLE OF DOGS Wes Anderson, Jeremy Dawson
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman, Phil Lord
- BLACKkKLANSMAN Spike Lee
- COLD WAR Paweł Pawlikowski
- THE FAVOURITE Yorgos Lanthimos
- ROMA Alfonso Cuarón
- A STAR IS BORN Bradley Cooper
- COLD WAR Janusz Głowacki, Paweł Pawlikowski
- THE FAVOURITE Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara
- GREEN BOOK Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly, Nick Vallelonga
- ROMA Alfonso Cuarón
- VICE Adam McKay
- BLACKkKLANSMAN Spike Lee, David Rabinowitz, Charlie Wachtel, Kevin Willmott
- CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? Nicole Holofcener, Jeff Whitty
- FIRST MAN Josh Singer
- IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK Barry Jenkins
- A STAR IS BORN Bradley Cooper, Will Fetters, Eric Roth
- GLENN CLOSE The Wife
- LADY GAGA A Star Is Born
- MELISSA McCARTHY Can You Ever Forgive Me?
- OLIVIA COLMAN The Favourite
- VIOLA DAVIS Widows
- BRADLEY COOPER A Star Is Born
- CHRISTIAN BALE Vice
- RAMI MALEK Bohemian Rhapsody
- STEVE COOGAN Stan & Ollie
- VIGGO MORTENSEN Green Book
- AMY ADAMS Vice
- CLAIRE FOY First Man
- EMMA STONE The Favourite
- MARGOT ROBBIE Mary Queen of Scots
- RACHEL WEISZ The Favourite
- ADAM DRIVER BlacKkKlansman
- MAHERSHALA ALI Green Book
- RICHARD E. GRANT Can You Ever Forgive Me?
- SAM ROCKWELL Vice
- TIMOTHÉE CHALAMET Beautiful Boy
- BLACKkKLANSMAN Terence Blanchard
- IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK Nicholas Britell
- ISLE OF DOGS Alexandre Desplat
- MARY POPPINS RETURNS Marc Shaiman
- A STAR IS BORN Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga, Lukas Nelson
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY Newton Thomas Sigel
- COLD WAR Łukasz Żal
- THE FAVOURITE Robbie Ryan
- FIRST MAN Linus Sandgren
- ROMA Alfonso Cuarón
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY John Ottman
- THE FAVOURITE Yorgos Mavropsaridis
- FIRST MAN Tom Cross
- ROMA Alfonso Cuarón, Adam Gough
- VICE Hank Corwin
- FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD Stuart Craig, Anna Pinnock
- THE FAVOURITE Fiona Crombie, Alice Felton
- FIRST MAN Nathan Crowley, Kathy Lucas
- MARY POPPINS RETURNS John Myhre, Gordon Sim
- ROMA Eugenio Caballero, Bárbara Enríquez
- THE BALLAD OF BUSTER SCRUGGS Mary Zophres
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY Julian Day
- THE FAVOURITE Sandy Powell
- MARY POPPINS RETURNS Sandy Powell
- MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS Alexandra Byrne
MAKE UP & HAIR
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY Mark Coulier, Jan Sewell
- THE FAVOURITE Nadia Stacey
- MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS Jenny Shircore
- STAN & OLLIE Mark Coulier, Jeremy Woodhead
- VICE Nominees TBC
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY John Casali, Tim Cavagin, Nina Hartstone, Paul Massey, John Warhurst
- FIRST MAN Mary H. Ellis, Mildred Iatrou Morgan, Ai-Ling Lee, Frank A. Montaño, Jon Taylor
- MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – FALLOUT Gilbert Lake, James H. Mather, Christopher Munro, Mike Prestwood Smith
- A QUIET PLACE Erik Aadahl, Michael Barosky, Brandon Procter, Ethan Van der Ryn
- A STAR IS BORN Steve Morrow, Alan Robert Murray, Jason Ruder, Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic
SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS
- AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Kelly Port, Dan Sudick
- BLACK PANTHER Geoffrey Baumann, Jesse James Chisholm, Craig Hammack, Dan Sudick
- FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD Tim Burke, Andy Kind, Christian Manz, David Watkins
- FIRST MAN Ian Hunter, Paul Lambert, Tristan Myles, J.D. Schwalm
- READY PLAYER ONE Matthew E. Butler, Grady Cofer, Roger Guyett, David Shirk
BRITISH SHORT ANIMATION
- I’M OK Elizabeth Hobbs, Abigail Addison, Jelena Popović
- MARFA Gary McLeod, Myles McLeod
- ROUGHHOUSE Jonathan Hodgson, Richard Van Den Boom
BRITISH SHORT FILM
- 73 COWS Alex Lockwood
- BACHELOR, 38 Angela Clarke
- THE BLUE DOOR Ben Clark, Megan Pugh, Paul Taylor
- THE FIELD Sandhya Suri, Balthazar de Ganay
- WALE Barnaby Blackburn, Sophie Alexander, Catherine Slater, Edward Speleers
EE RISING STAR AWARD
- BARRY KEOGHAN
- CYNTHIA ERIVO
- JESSIE BUCKLEY
- LAKEITH STANFIELD
- LETITIA WRIGHT